4 Awesome DIY String Light Ideas
LEDs don’t just make awesome Christmas lights, they can also make for cool room decor, wall art and much more. This post is loaded with a couple of wicked LED lighting ideas that you can do all by yourself and are pretty easy.
You can either make a brilliant photo display, a starry backdrop of your bed or even a spiffy bedside table lamp. Just follow the steps carefully laid out for these neat DIY LED lighting projects:
Table of Contents
1. DIY Gold Christmas Decor
Before you get started on this project, you’ll need the following items:
- Oval wood plaque
- Wooden letters
- Gold Metallic Spray Paint
- Wood Stain
- Mod Podge
- Glue sticks and a hot glue gun
- Vinyl lettering in the white of the word “and”
- Wide White Grosgrain Ribbon
Now follow the steps below, one by one:
Step 1: Spray paint the letters you have in gold
Step 2: Stain the wooden plaque, let it dry and then coat it with mod podge. Apply the word “and” to plaque and trim the vinyl as needed
Step 3: Hot glue the letters to the ribbon-like you would wrap twine around ribbon between each letter.
- 1-4 yards of glitter tulle
- White LED string lights
- Clear rubber bands
- Cut the tulle into squares roughly 8×8″, one square per light.
- Tie and knot the tulle around each light
- Has the tulle adjusted so it surrounds every light, fattening it with a clear rubber band or a string?
3. DIY Cloud Light
Ever had a make-believe storm could in your own bedroom for dramatic effect? Well, now you can make one for that occasion.
Here are the supplies that you’ll be working with:
- Wooden Dowel
- String Lights
- 6 Paper Lanterns
- 2 Cup Hooks
- Batting (otherwise known as the stuff that you can get from a fabric or craft supply store)
- Fishing Line
- Glue Gun
- Glue the batting to your paper lanterns using the glue gun. Every lantern will become one of your clouds.
- Cut the fishing line to the length that you’d like to hang from the ceiling. Be sure to cut two pieces, one for each side of the dowel. Then tie the fishing line to both ends of the dowel. Measure both after tying them to ensure they’re the same height. If they don’t match, then trim them
- Cut some more pieces of the fishing line to hang string lights and lanterns. Cut a piece for each lantern and then attach them to the dowel.
- Be sure to tie the hanging ends of your fishing line to the top of your lanterns so that your DIY clouds can hang one at a time.
- Hang your string lights and plug them in.
4. DIY Globe String Lights
Now you can use your boring globe string lights to turn them into an illuminating rainbow for any room you like.
- Mod podge
- One strand of cafe style light bulbs
- Fabric dye
- Dye the cheesecloth into whatever colors you like
- Then cut the cloth into squares that are large enough to cover each bulb
- Unscrew the bulbs from the strands. Take one bulb and then use a foam brush to cover it with mod podge
- Take one cloth square and then place the bulb that’s covered in glue right near the middle
- Drape the cloth right around the bulb and then press firmly to hold. Cut some of the extra cloth
- Repeat the third and fourth step until every bulb is done
- Allow them to do and then twist the bulbs back into their original sockets.
Juliana Harkavy Sociologist of race & education at the University of Minnesota. Writer, audiobook narrator, and funny story junkie. Owner of 3 dogs – Coda, Brownie, Jaden.